Thursday, February 5, 2015

Raising Children Alone


Kuddos to all you single mom's reading this!! 

The thought of raising three children alone scares me. That was my biggest fear when my husband left me. I would ask myself constantly how the heck I was going to care for my kids all by myself. I saw my mother do it, so I knew it was possible but it wasn't something I wanted to experience for myself. 

I've shared how I filed for divorce and asked my husband to sign over his parental rights and I was scared out of my mind! That would mean I would be the only parent they had. I would have to find a way to provide for them in every way possible all by myself. If you're use to "being taken care of" you forget what it is like to do things on your own. I knew it would be a struggle and I would have help from others but I didn't feel comfortable asking for anything. These were my children, my responsibility. 

As I was trying to figure out how to be a single mom I then started wondering how I would survive as a single woman. What man would want to be with a mom of three? Could I ever date again, or remarry? Was it possible that one day I would be happy again, and my children would once again have a man in their lives that would love them as his own? Would they ever even accept another man that wasn't their father? I knew no man could ever replace their Daddy and I didn't want that, but there was always a possibility that another man could be a part of their lives. I wasn't ready by any means to be with someone else but those were realistic concerns that would pop into my head every now and then. The man I wanted in our lives wasn't present. Was there a man that would one day want me? Want us? 

Then it hit me...my step dad was that type of man. He welcomed my mother and her three children into his life, never showing any doubt he wanted all of us. The person he is reminded me that even though things weren't working out with my husband, it was possible to find a man that would accept me and my children. He has played a very important role in my life and while he isn't my Daddy, he is the man that helped raise me to be the adult I am today. 

I know how fortunate I am to still be with my husband, for my children to be under the same roof as their father and I wouldn't change that for anything. I was a child of divorce; I saw firsthand the struggle my mother went through to provide for my brothers and me. She survived it and she has taught me to be a strong woman, a loving mother and a beautiful human being. Because of her and all the other single mothers I know that are raising their children alone I believe that anything is possible. 

A mother is a mother, with or without a man by her side!! She will do whatever possible to be there for her children, to protect them, provide for them and love them with everything she has in her. 


I admire all of you that have done it and those who are doing it now. You have showed me that if there is ever a day I have to go at it alone I can and will do it. 



You truly are an inspiration!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment